Prop 65 Regulations Impacting Craft Breweries
- The California State Office of Environmental Health and Hazard Assessment (OEHHA) has adopted new Proposition 65 (“Prop 65”) warning regulations which go into effect on August 30, 2018.As manufacturers, California brewers have specific obligations under the law to provide a “clear and reasonable” warning to consumers about exposure to chemicals that cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm. Proposition 65 applies to hundreds of foods, additives, other substances, finished goods, equipment, building materials, and locations for specific purposes that may be used by brewers or present in a brewery.This UPDATED PROP 65 ADVISORY (Updated August 28, 2018) addresses two Prop 65 warnings that are applicable to alcohol beverage manufacturers, the general alcohol beverage warning and the BPA warning for brewers using packaging materials that contain bisphenol A (“BPA”).
- If you have read the industry advisory and would like to add products to the BPA database, please enter each brand individually into THIS BPA PRODUCT UPDATE FORM.
California Recycling Program
- California’s current recycling program is not financial sustainable. CalRecycle is looking at broad reform to improve the overall financial sustainability of the program.
Ninth District Court Issues Ruling on Tied House – CCBA Wins Victory in 2017!
- Retail Digital Network (RDN) vs. California ABC court case challenged key tied-house laws in California. This court case challenged a key section of California’s tied-house law (B&P Code Section 25503(f)-(h). If this section was ruled unconstitutional, it would allow licensed retailers to charge manufacturers and wholesalers for advertising.
- CCBA was very involved in the case and filed two amicus briefs with the court, to support the state of California to uphold this important tied house law in the statute
- In June 2017 the word came down from the court that it ruled in favor of the California ABC – Tied House Lives On!!!!
- This victory was a major win for the CCBA and its membership and a key reason why your association exists!