California Craft Brewing Facts and Stats
- The California craft brewing industry employs 22,000 Californians accounting for well over $500 million in wages
- In 2011 the California craft brewing industry paid more than $400 million in total taxes
- In 2011 craft breweries in California contributed over $3 billion to the California economy inclusive of all goods and services both directly and indirectly.
Nationally, the craft brewing industry grew by 13% in 2011 and 12% in the first six months of 2012.
- California produces more craft beer than any other state, brewing more than 2.2 million barrels (32 gallons per barrel) in 2011
- California has more craft breweries than any other state
- California has 12 of the top 50 largest craft breweries by volume in the country.
Craft brewers donate hundreds of thousands of dollars to charitable causes each year through philanthropy, charitable donations, volunteerism and product donations. Craft brewers are ardent supporters of local and state causes.
- In 2011 the California craft brewing industry gave approximately $16 million of in-kind contributions to non-profit causes