California Craft Brewing Facts and Stats
- In 2013 craft breweries in California contributed $5.5 billion to the State’s economy.
- The Economic Impact of craft brewing in California jumped 17% in 2013.
- CA craft brewers are tremendous exporters. In 2013 1.2 million barrels of beer were exported out of California. That’s more than the total craft beer production in 47 other states (only PA and CO had more than 1.2 million in production in 2013)! Talk about an economic success story. That’s lots of new money coming back into the state.
- California craft brewers actually export a larger percentage of their product than the non-craft beer producers.
- During 2014 the number of operating breweries increased by over 20 percent.
- Today California has more craft breweries (540) than any other state. There are also currently an additional 240 breweries in planning.
- California produces more craft beer than any other state, in 2014 approximately 3.4 million barrels of beer have been produced.
- Sales of craft beer in California are up 20.7% compared to 18% nationally and now account for a 16.8% market share.
- California has 12 of the top 50 largest craft breweries by volume in the country.
Craft brewers donate hundreds of thousands of dollars to charitable causes each year through philanthropy, charitable donations, volunteerism and product donations. Craft brewers are ardent supporters of local and state causes.
- In 2013 the California craft brewing industry gave more than $20 million of in-kind contributions to non-profit causes