California Craft Brewing Facts and Stats
- In 2013 craft breweries in California contributed $5.5 billion to the State’s economy.
- The Economic Impact of craft brewing in California jumped 17% in 2013.
- CA craft brewers are tremendous exporters. in 2013 1.2 million barrels of beer were exported out of California. That’s more than the total craft beer production in 47 other states (only PA and CO had more than 1.2 million in production in 2013)! Talk about an economic success story. That’s lots of new money coming back into the state.
- California craft brewers actually export a larger percentage of their product than the non-craft beer producers.
- In 2013 California’s craft brewing industry grew by 20% (by volume)
- Today California has more craft breweries (480) than any other state.
- California produces more craft beer than any other state, brewing more than 2.9 million barrels (31 gallons per barrel).
- In 2013 annual Beer production in California increased by over 500,000 barrels from the previous year.
- In 2013 more craft breweries opened in California (108) than any other state.
- In 2013, the craft brewing industry grew 18% by volume and 20% by dollars compared to growth in 2012 of 15% by volume and 1% by dollars.
- The craft brewing industry’s domestic market share in 2013 was 7.8% by volume and 14.3% by dollars.
- California has 12 of the top 50 largest craft breweries by volume in the country.
Craft brewers donate hundreds of thousands of dollars to charitable causes each year through philanthropy, charitable donations, volunteerism and product donations. Craft brewers are ardent supporters of local and state causes.
- In 2013 the California craft brewing industry gave more than $20 million of in-kind contributions to non-profit causes