California Craft Brewing Facts and Stats
- The California craft brewing industry employs 48,000 Californians accounting for well over $1.9 billion in wages
- In 2012 the California craft brewing industry paid more than $850 million in total taxes
- In 2012 craft breweries in California contributed over $4 billion to the California economy inclusive of all goods and services both directly and indirectly.
In California, the craft brewing industry grew by 20% (by volume) in 2012
- Total beer revenue in California exceeded $4.6 billion in 2012.
- California produces more craft beer than any other state, brewing more than 2.4 million barrels (32 gallons per barrel).
- In 2012 annual Beer production in California increased by over 400,000 barrels from the previous year.
- California has more craft breweries and had more breweries open in 2012 (56) than any other state.
- California has 12 of the top 50 largest craft breweries by volume in the country.
Craft brewers donate hundreds of thousands of dollars to charitable causes each year through philanthropy, charitable donations, volunteerism and product donations. Craft brewers are ardent supporters of local and state causes.
- In 2012 the California craft brewing industry gave approximately $16 million of in-kind contributions to non-profit causes